Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Science Fair

I meant to write this blog earlier..but better late than never! ;)
Last week was Columbia's Science Fair! Originally I had no intentions of going to the science fair, but the day before I discovered that 8 of our Kindergarteners were doing projects! I was so excited to see what they had come up with because I don't ever remember entering a science fair when I was 5 years old...or if we even had science fairs.
I have said this before and I'll say it again..I am always so amazed at how kids' minds work. The knowledge that they have and the things they want to learn more about are so incredible. I am so proud of the wonderful and amazing work my kids produced last week! All of them were so creative and unique and I loved every single one of them! Check out the pictures below to see some of their neat ideas...


This first student wanted to know.."Why does it rain?" She created a wonderful representation of the water cycle to show us how it rains. Kindergarteners have such great minds..when they want to know something, they find a way to get the answer!

This student wanted to know.."Do different kinds of apples have different numbers of seeds?"
As it turns out, they do! Apples can have between 3-10 seeds depending on the kind. I thought this was a neat idea because it wasn't something I would have ever thought twice about, very cool idea!

This student did a classic science fair project..."How do volcanoes erupt?" The project had a really neat model of a volcano, I could tell it took a really long time to make! So creative!


This student was curious about objects that floated and objects that sank! They decided to test a large number of objects, such as an orange, golf ball, a piece of foil, screw, marble, pencil, etc. and took note of which ones were able to float and which ones sank. They also discovered that an orange with its peel will float, but an orange without its peel will sink! Pretty cool!

This student came up with the unique idea of testing "Which kind of cat food cats like best."
The conclusion was that most cats prefer fish or chicken flavored cat food, rather than beef flavored, and that cat food companies should stop making beef flavored food because cats don't like to eat it! I thought that was pretty cute!


This student wanted to answer the question..."What happens when you put an egg in a glass of coke?" They had an egg that had been sitting in coke for a few days and it was really interesting because the sugar from the soda made the egg look sparkly, as if someone had put glitter all over it! Puts a whole new spin on easter egg dying..it actually looks pretty sweet!


Great job Kindergarteners! I can't wait to see what they come up with next year :)

No comments: